Friday, June 24, 2011

A Father's Favorite

It was a cloudy day... not one I was particularly enjoying. After all, we just returned from Arizona, where the weather was pleasant and the air was warm and the sun was comforting. But, we were glad to be home, in our own beds, attending worship with our church family, and celebrating another Father's Day. 

I asked my husband Scott (father of Jason, Tim, Philip and Grace!) what he would like for Father's Day Dinner. He (not surprisingly) requested Chicken Divan. Not just any Chicken Divan, but "Aunt Speedy's Chicken Divan". And, I had all of the ingredients for "Miss Polly's Fruit Salad". Polly was our family friend growing up in Maricopa, Arizona.  Polly brought her fruit salad to our house when my daddy had died. Isn't that ironic? I made my favorite fruit salad that was given to my family at the time my father passed away, on Father's Day.  I was a picky eater. I didn't like stuff mixed up together very much. But Polly changed all that.

So, as a token of love, the kids helped by dicing chicken and smashing crackers! I used my new Cuisinart hand emulsion/immersion blender to fluff up and smooth out any chunks in the cream soups. Wow! Did that make a difference!  I used my Pampered Chef (no, I'm not getting paid by these places!) small microwaveable covered vented pan to heat and melt the cheese and soups together.  

Well, maybe because it was a glorious, sunny Father's Day after all. Then again, maybe it was because I used my handy dandy blender to mix the flavors to perfection. Or maybe it was because I actually followed Aunt Speedy's recipe to the tee. On the other hand, it might have been the fresh the broccoli from Scott's garden. What about that it was because dinner was an hour later than planned and we were really hungry?

Whatever the reason, this Father's Day, complete with some fun gifts, great company, fond memories and tasty dishes, was a Father's Day to remember.

Aunt Speedy's Chicken Divan
6 chicken breasts, cooked, deboned, reserving broth
3 10-oz. packages frozen broccoli, cooked, drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 4-oz. can sliced mushrooms
1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
1/2 package saltine crachers, crushed
paprika
celery salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In buttered 9 x 13 baking dish, place crackers on bottom.  Arrange cooked broccoli on top.  Layer chicken on top of the broccoli.  Set aside.  In saucepan, combine soups, 3/4 c. reserved chicken broth, mushrooms and Velveeta cheese.  Place over low heat stirring until cheese is melted.  Pour mixture over broccoli, sprinkle with paprika and celery salt.  Bake uncovered for approximately 30-45 minutes.

(Side note from family cookbook:  This is another favorite of Jason and Tim, who were eating broccoli at a very young age! Tim impressed Suzie's friend Sara (at Scott and Suzie's wedding), who couldn't believe a kid would eat their vegetables, at age 9!)   


Miss Polly's 5 Cup Fruit Salad

1 cup mandarin oranges
1 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup coconut
1 cup sour cream
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)

Mix together. Garnish with mandarin slices and/or pecan halves on top. 

Happy Cooking, Eating and Enjoying Everyone!
Chicken Divan and Lilies From the Garden

Father's Place Setting, Complete with Homemade Card from Grace

Miss Polly's 5-Cup Fruit Salad Pairs Nicely With a Sip of Red Wine

No comments:

Post a Comment